I got behind on blog posts, so not a lot to review this week. I have been doing a lot of experimenting—trying out new techniques and playing with ideas that might give me some smaller artwork to bring to shows later this year. More about those ideas if they pan out.
Monday, I posted about my first altered book honoring Florence Arlene Small, a woman who died brutally in 1916 at the hands of her husband. It has taken a little time to figure out how I want the inside to look, but I have it now.
I have collaged the pages using copies of the original newspaper clippings and my own images. I decided to use both an image I found of Florence and the collage I made in honor of her last year. Over these pages, I am hand-painting flowers. I will also be adding poetry from writers in the year 1916 and earlier. So far, I have finished a couple pages—still working on the rest.